Vientiane Times, November 3, 2015.
Posts Tagged ‘concession’
Bangkok Post 25th May 2015 – Business News
Childhood nutrition remains poor in Laos, where allocation of large land concessions to investors could be one factor undermining food security
For more details please read article in the below link:
Vientiane Times, March 16, 2015
The government of Switzerland, represented by the Swiss Agency for Development (SDC), and the Lao government, represented by the Ministry of Planning and Investment, on Friday launched the Mekong Regional L and Governance Project in Laos. The project, which is planned for a period of eight years, will received financial support from the Swiss government amounting to US$8 million (65.2 billion kip), and from the German government through the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), amounting to 3.5 million euros (about US$3.7 million or 30 billion kip). Secretary of State for the Swiss Confederation, Mr Manuel Sager, and Lao Deputy Minister of Planning and Investment, Dr Kikeo Chanthaboury, signed a Memorandum of Understanding on the launch of the project. The project is an initiative to support land tenure security for family farmers, especially women and ethnic groups, by assisting the emergence of more favourable policies and practices, according to a press release.
Vientiane Times, February 09, 2015
The National Forest Conservation Area in Nam Kan, Bokeo province, is suffering from encroachment by local people and business operators who fell trees and hunt wildlife there, with local authorities unable to control these activities. In an article published in the Lao Economic Daily Newspaper on February 6, reporters said they had investigated this problem a few years ago. At that time they had reported on use of the conservation area for slash and burn cultivation, logging and hunting.
The high sale price of alabaster has brought local people flocking to Phoukanghong Mountain in Attapeu province, where they have been digging up blocks of the mineral to sell, despite a government ban on its removal. Locals told Vientiane Times yesterday that villagers were continuing to remove the rocks illegally and with great enthusiasm, as if celebrating a festival.
Vientiane Times, 10 December 2013
The government will consider revoking concessions for eight mining projects and four industrial tree plantation projects whose concession holders have failed to comply with the relevant laws and the terms of the concession agreements, a minister has told the parliament.
Mr Somdy Duangdy.
Minister of Planning and Investment Somdy Duangdy told the National Assembly’s sixth ordinary session which opened yesterday, that the ministry will propose to a higher authority to consider the revocations.
A large Chinese investor is looking to secure a concession for 10,000 hectares of land on the Bolaven plateau in Champassak province for rice, small crops and cattle raising, according to provincial officials.
The Planning and Investment Department in Champassak province signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Chinese company Beidahuang earlier this week, allowing it to commence a survey and study of the area.
“We will allow them to undertake a survey on 10,000 hectares of land in the province,” the Deputy Director of the department, Mr Bounthien Phiasakha, toldVientiane Times on Friday.
*Vientiane Times, 3 Oct 2013*
Economists are warning that establishing more rubber plantations will not only harm the environment but also affect long-term food security in Laos.
A senior economist from the National Economic Research Institute, Dr Leeber Leebouapao, told Vientiane Times on Monday there was an oversupply of rubber on the global market, causing the price to fall.
“We should stop planting rubber trees and use our land to grow other crops to ensure food security,” he added.