Pieces of research commissioned and published by the LIWG:
The paper aims to provide policy makers with an analysis of information gathered in Laos concerning land concessions, with the aim of assisting them in decision-making. Prepared by Cor. H. Hanssen, CIDSE-Laos.
2) Turning Land into Capital (2007)
A review of recent research on land concessions for investment in Lao PDR
The study summarizes lessons learned and questions raised from previous and ongoing research on land concessions in Lao PDR. Prepared by Mike Dwyer, University of California, Berkeley.
3) Laos – Planting for the Future (2009)
Environmental and Social Codes of Practice for Industrial Tree Plantations – An Overview
The study maps the principles and process for preparing an environmental and social Code of Practice (CoP) for the industrial tree plantation sector in Laos. Prepared by Sean Foley, EcoAsia Limited.
4) Communal Land Titling and Registration Policy Recommendations – Lessons from the Field (2012)
For the LIWG communal land titling presents an opportunity to increase the tenure security of rural communities, to improve community management of natural resources, and to increase productive use of village land as a key poverty reduction strategy. To support this effort, the LIWG carried out a round of consultations and analysis to address the details of communal titling.
5) Introduction to Lao land issues (2012)
This document aims to contribute to an understanding of the main developments, trends and opportunities surrounding land, forests and natural resources in Lao PDR, with a focus on current issues in land management and concessions.
6) Linking Food and Land Tenure Security in the Lao PDR
This paper provides a review of existing literature regarding the relationship between land
tenure security and food security for rural farming families in the Lao PDR. Its findings help to
understand how rural farming families and communities are more likely to experience greater
agricultural production and increased food security when they are confident in their rights to use and benefit from the land, especially agricultural land that they rely on for growing crops and grazing livestock.
7) Protected Area Governance and Equitable Access in the Lao PDR
Protected areas are important tools for achieving biodiversity conservation. This report supports the goals of the Community Management Learning Network, a regional initiative that seeks to work with key actors to conserve biodiversity and sustainably use natural resources while ensuring that they contribute more effectively to the well-being of local people. It provides recommendations for implementing the concept of equitable access in the governance of protected areas, particularly in the Lao PDR.
Read paper in English
8) Free Prior Informed Consent (FPIC) video
9) Files & Presentations from the workshop of Investment in Mekong Region
towards more Responsible Land-based Investment in Lao PDR: 14th March 2017 at New Rose Hotel, organized by LIWG.
- IPD PPT for LIWG 14 March 2017 by MPI
- Draft of Investment Promotion Law_1.2.2017
- Dwyer 2017-03-14 – LIWG workshop presentation slides
- Investment on land – lessons learnt in Lao
- Presentation on Investment in Mekong Region_14March2017
- Presentation of Mr Bualery – Copy
10) Voluntary Commitments for Responsible Agribusiness in Lao PDR.
Read the paper in Lao and in English