Pieces of research commissioned and published by the LIWG:
19) Policy Brief on Responsible Responsible Agricultural Investment – RAI in Laos: Overview and policy framework /ບົດສະຫຼຸບຫຍໍ້ ການລົງທຶນດ້ານກະສິກຳແບບມີຄວາມຮັບຜິດຊອບ ຢູ່ໃນ ສປປ ລາວ: ພາບລວມ & ສີ່ງທີ່ກ່ຽວຂ້ອງ ກັບການກຳນົດນະໂຍບາຍ
This policy brief present 4 key recommendations for the principle of RAI to develop as the policy in Lao PDR. RAI covers different topics related to environment, economy and development. /ບົດສັງລວມນະໂຍບາຍນີ້ ນຳສະເໜີ ຂໍ້ແນະນຳ ສີ່ ຂໍ້ ສຳລັບນຳສະເໜີຫຼັກການ RAI ເຂົ້າໃນການກຳນົດນະໂຍບາຍ ຢູ່ໃນ ລາວ. RAI ກວມລວມເອົາຫົວຂໍ້ຕ່າງໆຢ່າງກ້ວາງຂວາງ ທີ່ພົວພັນກັບສິ່ງແວດລ້ອມ, ເສດຖະກິດ ແລະ ການພັດທະນາສັງຄົມ.
Read policy brief at/ອ່ານບົດສະຫຼຸບຫຍໍ້ທີ່ນີ້: Lao version (ພາສາລາວ)
18) 6 highlight topics on land discussion at 6th NA Debate Session/6 ປະເດັນເດັ່ນ ກ່ຽວກັບທີ່ດິນ ຈາກກອງປະຊຸມສະພາສະໄໝສາມັນເທື່ອທີ 6, 25-29.11.2018
These 6 highlight topics were discussed on going-NA debate session from 25-29 November 2018 of National Assembly VIII. Summarized by LIWG
Read summary: English & Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
17) Briefing Note to the Land Law Revision at the Land Law Session, NA inter-Session on 7th November, 2018
- Transitional Provisions on the new Land Law: English / Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
- Collective Rights to Use Village Land: English / Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
- Free, Prior Informed Consent (FPIC) of Villagers for Leases and Concessions Issued by State: English / Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
- Customary Rights to Use Land: English / Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
- Rights over Land for Shifting Cultivation: English / Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
- Women’s Land Use Rights: English / Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
- Expropriation and Compensation: English / Lao (ພາສາລາວ)
16) Briefing Note: Turing Land into Capital: Assessing a Decade of Policy in Practice (June, 2018)
Analysis of Turing Land into Capital (TLIC), in theory and in practice, reveals that it has been implemented and interpreted unevenly. Furthermore, the assessment of its performance and impact on the ground has proven to be complicated given a recurrent lack of available data. Yet TLIC is here to stay, therefore a thorough analysis of TLIC should be undertaken to guide its reform so it can achieve its goals for the benefit of both the state and the Lao people.
15) Turing Land into Capital (TLIC): Assessing A Decade of Policy in Practice (May, 2018)
The report covers 1) a brief history of the concept and its varying interpretations; 2) how TLIC has operated as a policy in practice, particularly its size, scope, and social/economic performance; 3) the ways in which it is currently being reformed; and 4) recommendations for the ongoing reforms and civil society policy advocacy and engagement efforts.
The study was commissioned by LIWG and conducted by Authors: Mile Kenney-Lazar, Michael Dwyer and Cornelia Hett
14) Annex of National Assembly (NA) Workshop September 28-29 September, 2017:
Please find all documents in the folder here or see details below:
- Agenda of NA Workshop both Lao and English can be downloaded here
- Voice record of NA Workshop (Lao) can be downloaded here
- Video record of NA Workshop (Lao) can be downloaded here
- Minutes of NA Workshop both Lao and English can be downloaded here
- Presentations and related documents during the NA workshop can be downloaded here
13) Key Recommendations on land issues in the Lao PDR (2017)
The present key recommendations cover 4 topics being: recognition of customary land tenure rights, expropriation of land for public purposes (right to choose), land lease and concession, and gender equality on land tenure rights. Such recommendations are based on international standards especially the principles of the Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land, Fisheries and Forests of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
This key recommendations paper was developed by LIWG and GIZ Laos.
12) Developments in Land Use Planning in Lao PDR since 2009 ( May, 2017)
This study has been commissioned by the Land Information Working Group (LIWG) in order to determine the extent to which Land Use Planning has alleviated poverty in, and strengthened the rights of, rural communities in Lao PDR, and how the positive impacts can be enhanced.
The study was commissioned by LIWG and conducted by Stuart Ling, Independent Consultant.
11) Voluntary Commitments for Responsible Agribusiness in Lao PDR (2017)
10) Files & Presentations from the workshop of Investment in Mekong Region (2017)
towards more Responsible Land-based Investment in Lao PDR: 14th March 2017 at New Rose Hotel, organized by LIWG.
- IPD PPT for LIWG 14 March 2017 by MPI
- Draft of Investment Promotion Law_1.2.2017
- Dwyer 2017-03-14 – LIWG workshop presentation slides
- Investment on land – lessons learnt in Lao
- Presentation on Investment in Mekong Region_14March2017
- Presentation of Mr Bualery – Copy
9) Free Prior Informed Consent (FPIC) video (2017)
8) Protected Area Governance and Equitable Access in the Lao PDR (2016)
Protected areas are important tools for achieving biodiversity conservation. This report supports the goals of the Community Management Learning Network, a regional initiative that seeks to work with key actors to conserve biodiversity and sustainably use natural resources while ensuring that they contribute more effectively to the well-being of local people. It provides recommendations for implementing the concept of equitable access in the governance of protected areas, particularly in the Lao PDR.
7) Linking Food and Land Tenure Security in the Lao PDR (2016)
This paper provides a review of existing literature regarding the relationship between land
tenure security and food security for rural farming families in the Lao PDR. Its findings help to
understand how rural farming families and communities are more likely to experience greater
agricultural production and increased food security when they are confident in their rights to use and benefit from the land, especially agricultural land that they rely on for growing crops and grazing livestock.
6) Land Expropriation for Private Investments/ການໂອນສິດນໍາໃຊ້ທີ່ດິນສໍາລັບການລົງທຶນຂອງເອກະຊົນ (2014)
Recommendations about Land Expropriation for Private Investments to the July 2014 draft National Land Policy.
The recommendation was prepared by Tenure Security informal focal group of the Land Sub-Sector Working Group
5) Introduction to Lao land issues (2012)
This document aims to contribute to an understanding of the main developments, trends and opportunities surrounding land, forests and natural resources in Lao PDR, with a focus on current issues in land management and concessions.
4) Communal Land Titling and Registration Policy Recommendations – Lessons from the Field (2012)
For the LIWG communal land titling presents an opportunity to increase the tenure security of rural communities, to improve community management of natural resources, and to increase productive use of village land as a key poverty reduction strategy. To support this effort, the LIWG carried out a round of consultations and analysis to address the details of communal titling.
3) Laos – Planting for the Future (2009)
Environmental and Social Codes of Practice for Industrial Tree Plantations – An Overview
The study maps the principles and process for preparing an environmental and social Code of Practice (CoP) for the industrial tree plantation sector in Laos. Prepared by Sean Foley, EcoAsia Limited.
2) Turning Land into Capital (2007)
A review of recent research on land concessions for investment in Lao PDR
The study summarizes lessons learned and questions raised from previous and ongoing research on land concessions in Lao PDR. Prepared by Mike Dwyer, University of California, Berkeley.
The paper aims to provide policy makers with an analysis of information gathered in Laos concerning land concessions, with the aim of assisting them in decision-making. Prepared by Cor. H. Hanssen, CIDSE-Laos.